Baal Shem Tov Synagogue

Detailed Description Baal Shem Tov Synagogue

Wooden synagogue "Baal Shem Tov" in Piatra Neamt stand testimony to the large Jewish community that existed in this town since the middle ages. The current building was erected on the site of another older, based on act of 19 July 1766 signed by Prince Grigore III Ghica. The old synagogue was made of stone, but at the beginning of the 18th century was not allowed more than picking up some wooden synagogues. In the Eastern wall of the synagogue is situated along the "Holy Box", the true work of art executed in carved wood in 1835 by Şaraga Iţchok ben Moische, arranged in three layers, each layer being placed on round columns covered with bronze and silver. The altar, gold plated, has a 250-year-old. The synagogue is related to the Baal Shem Tov, founder of Hasidism.

Wooden synagogue "Baal Shem Tov" in Piatra Neamt attracts every year thousands of pilgrims from around the world come to visit it. This place of worship dates from the year 1766 and after some experts is considered the oldest synagogue in Romania, and in South-Eastern Europe.

Representing the core of the most powerful Jewish communities around the country, wooden synagogue was declared a historical monument by the Romanian Academy. Although he had been subjected to several periods of restoration, its architecture retains the specificity of the buildings in the old fashioned fair combined with wooden synagogues built in Poland and Bohemia.
 
Although it looks small from the outside, the synagogue visit will find with surprise that it is truly spectacular, with a inaltimde of 5 meters, being practically built half into the ground. The inside is on two floors and comprises the Ark that houses 14 Torah scroll.It is carved in wood and shows three tiers, richly colored and decorated, as well as a fruit basket, symbol of the sacrifices made in the Temple in Jerusalem. The synagogue is located in the middle of Bima, which stands on the podium sat the desk reads the Torah scroll.

This Jewish temple is just more open to visitors today and to celebrate because the Jewish community in Piatra Neamt count approximately 100 people.
 
Opening hours: from Monday to Friday between 8:30 am-12:00
For large groups (over 10 people) or visiting the synagogue Saturday and Sunday must make appointment at least one day in advance. Programming you can do by calling the telephone numbers:
0233 223 815-headquarters of the Jewish community in Piatra Neamt
or
0752 371 471-Mr. Leibovitz Normz
Location: str. Dimitrie Ernici No.7, loc. Piatra Neamt, jud. Neamt

Area attractions from Piatra Neamt

Batca Doamnei tourist route on: Dacian fortress "Petrodava"

The tourist trail on Mount Batca Doamnei takes its starting point from the Batca Cottage. The path climbs slowly up to the Dacian

More

Church Dărmănești

In Dărmăneşti district , on a plateau that stretches far into the road Targu Neamt Piatra Neamt , attract attention with its massive profile Church " Annunciation "

More

Tourist route Piatra Neamt-Razboieni-Voltaire-Roman

Church Precista

In 1930 it was began construction of the Church of Precista in Piatra Neamt, and in 1947 it was sfiintita by the Metropolitan of Moldavia and Suceava, I

More

Tourist route on Cernegura: Hard Enduro

The tourist trail on Mount Cernegura departing from the dock area and passing the Mrs. Biodun besides Poiana Ciresului. Fr

More

Church Schimbarea la Faţă din Văleni

Church dedicated to "the Transfiguration" from Valeni-Piatra Neamt is part of those monu

More

Ceahlău Massif

Geographical limits
 
Ceah

More

Baal Shem Tov Synagogue

Wooden synagogue "Baal Shem Tov" in Piatra Neamt stand testimony to the large Jewish community that existed in this town since the middle ages. More

Hiking Trail in Piatra Neamt: Mrs. John Hill

Located about 4 km from downtown Piatra Neamt, Dacian Fortress ruins on the place where Ms. Ku that represents a point of rare beauty on the city

More

Dacian fortress Petrodava

The oldest historical monument is the city of Piatra Neamt mount Batca Doamnei in Romania situated in the South-western part of the town on the crest of

More